Speaking of projects, some of you may remember back when I shared that I had acquired two of these identical TV console cabinets from a guy at the end of an estate sale...he just wanted them gone. I completed and sold one awhile back that was french and feminine. I decided to make this one more on the masculine side.
I started out by filling in the holes the previous owner had drilled through the sides for a TV cable. This one was a little rougher than the other so I also had to remove the veneer layer from the top. After two coats of Bin primer followed up by two coats of olive green oops paint I decided to paint the insets of the doors black.
I had a few chunks of birch log that I have been holding onto for just the right project. I used our chop saw to cut disks until I had enough to fill the insets. In addition I remembered a wooden trivet I picked up at the Goodwill and chopped that in half too, I needed something a little more solid to cover the holes left by the old hardware. I used my brad nailer with the shortest brads available and sadly they came right through the other side! Since it was too late to turn back by the time I noticed, I just rolled with it.
Here's where I have to give my husband some credit. He suggested using cork squares on the insides of the doors to disguise the brads. Genius! It not only hid my mistake, but also provided a place to tack drink recipes and the occasional liquor shopping list.
I finished off the inside using some beige paisley Goodwill wallpaper (applied with spray adhesive), a stemware rack, and a couple of wine racks, also from the Goodwill. I distressed, antiqued and waxed the exterior and called it done. I still have one more cabinet similar to this one, but without the inset doors. I have a non-bar vision for that one involving a new paint treatment.
The hubby is out of town this week so I won't have to make dinner for anyone. I'll be a crafty, busy girl covered in paint and living on popcorn and Diet Coke....ohhhh the life!
Linking up with these lovely ladies: