Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Farmhouse Cutie Patootie

Still busy as busy gets getting things ready for the opening of my booth this weekend and the weather is so not cooperating! They have a tendency to blow things out of proportion here in Oregon when reporting on the weather. It isn't just going to rain...it will be monumental,  falling in sheets, the worst we've ever seen. I don't put too much stock into it, yeah it's raining and going to rain more...did I mention this is Oregon?

Okay, enough of that already. I am taking a moment to show you a simple ole' farm style chair that I picked up recently for a whopping $10. When my hubby saw it he asked "is it for a wide person?" I had to laugh, I don't really know it's story; just thought it was unique. In it's former life it was "you need sunglasses to look at it" neon yellow and graced the front porch of an old farmhouse...problem is you couldn't actually sit on it because you'd soon find your hiney dragging the ground. Who wants a chair you can't actually sit on?


I had to fix that first thing. A little webbing courtesy of Joann's Fabrics and some black upholstery tacks to the rescue. That yellow, well it had to go. I primed it bright white and then painted it in a satin ivory color I had in my existing paint stash. I distressed the edges aged it and waxed it, but she was still naked.


The rusticness (is that a word?) of the style and the red in the webbing lent itself to a country feeling. I broke out my favorite go to fabric...a drop cloth from the hardware store. I stapled a ruffle around the bottom and fashioned a cushion for the seat and backrest accented with a touch of the red. I debated whether or not to transfer an image to the back cushion, but opted to just leave it plain. I think she looks a lot better than she did. She'll be making the journey to "The Roost" this weekend in hopes of finding a new home.
I think she stands a good chance since we live in the land of tree farms, nurseries and cow pastures.


Linking up to these lovely ladies:


                                                         http://www.notjustahousewife.net/


5 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Wow, what a great job! I have never seen a chair like that, Everyone would like it but,I bet fluffy people would really love it!LOL I do the same as you at craft markets, I just take in ideas and do very little buying

carol

Debbiedoos said...

Awesome job Carrie on the chair. Enjoy the weekend.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I am a rather fluffy person..and I KNOW I would love it. It looks sturdy and a lovely occasional chair..and one that can be changed and changed. What a beautiful job you did. It has a brand new life. :) I have yet to try a project like that..but one day I might.
Fluffy? :):) How cute is that?? :)
Mona

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

Oh that's so adorable, she flirty and cute!

thebluedoorofgreenville said...

I love everything you do!!!