Friday, November 25, 2011

To Hip To Be Square

One of the first pieces of furniture I decided to restore on this new venture of mine came at the mere price of $20.00. This is the cap I usually give myself when perusing Craigslist...anything more expensive doesn't usually make the cut, I don't even look at it for fear of being tempted. We're down a salary so even that is a stretch on an already stretched budget. It had most recently been used as a TV armoir by the sweet little old couple that owned it. Ethel and Burt were sweet as can be but they did some serious damage to this diamond in the rough.


I sent my dear hubby on another mission to pick her up and I'm pretty sure he's part of Ethel and Burt's family now. He knew every detail of their lives after just a half hour with them which is sweet, but also scary that they were so open with their personal details. We really need to remind our parents and grandparents to be careful now days, unfortunately things aren't like they used to be.

Anyway, Burt had drilled, a.k.a. hacked a few not so cute holes in the back for the cords and such as well as added a couple shelves crudely nailed through the sides. The doors wouldn't even stay closed without the aid of a string...this beauty was so rickety and out of square.


It took me a lot more work to bring it back to life than I had originally planned, this clearly wasn't just going to be a sand and paint fix. I had to add new veneer for the back, patch up the holes from the nails and reinvent a purpose for the inside. Awhile back I had grabbed a free table leaf from the side of the road. I was able to take it apart, create a center support out of inexpensive pine and create cubbies on one side and tall storage on the other. I figured it could be used for either clothes or even a craft cupboard.

I had a couple wall rub on decals from a past project in my daughters room that I decided to use on the doors. I used them in an unconventional way by base coating the whole piece in a light gray, then placing the decals on the center of the doors and painting over them in a citron green/yellow. Once the paint dried, I peeled the decals off and was left with a beautiful crisp design. I appologize, I did take pictures of this process but they disappeared from my camera chip. I also added citron stripes on the sides by using "the ruler on a roll" scotch blue tape.


I'm not sure what Ethel and Burt would think of the transformation. I think it might be a little too "hip" for them. I know one thing for sure though...NOW it is square.


 



     Linking up to these lovely ladies:

                                          
                                                       http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

                                                     http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/





4 comments:

The Rosegarden in Malevik said...

Oh my G........what a wonderful job :)
and do not miss,,,,

S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y


S
H
O
W

O
F
F

It is fun :)
WELCOME
HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

OMG that is plumb (Sorry for the pun) gorgeous!! I believe you that it was tons of work, Ethel and Burt would have a jaw dropping moment if they saw it!! Gorgeous!

Carol

Chris said...

Hi Carrie, what a wonderful job you did with the cabinet. Perhaps you should sent Burt and Ethel a photograph - they would be amazed. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

MelissaJane said...

That is absolutely stunning, and even more so when you see the before! WOW!