Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Go Ahead And Wine

It's been snowing here the last few days and I have to admit, I haven't been real eager to head out to the garage and break out the paintbrushes. I did however manage to complete one new project.


Awhile back I acquired three old TV console cabinets for the whopping price of $10.00...only $3.33 apiece! They were large solid substantial pieces that just needed some love.


The wooden face where the old TVs and dials were had been crudely removed via sawzall and nasty plywood shelves were nailed inside with nails protruding right out the finished side of the cabinets. Two of them are identical and the third is slightly more art deco in style. Even though they were in rough shape and my husband was shaking his head at me I saw potential in them.


When I attended a Junkfest this past summer I has bought a sheet of Paris inspired paper that I thought would work great on a black piece of furniture. The whole Shabby Chic thing has really taken off so I decided to take this and run with it. Into my crazy head came the idea, Parisian wine bar.


Because the holes in this piece were so large I opted not to use wood putty, but instead a product you can find in the auto supply section of your local variety store called JB Weld. It comes in a tube and is clay-like. You cut off the amount you think you may use and knead it together to blend the components. You smooth it into the holes best as you can and once it is dry it is sandable and does not chip away no matter how rough you are with it. This piece had a ping pong ball sized hole in the top you would never know was there.


I primed it as I do everything I paint with two coats of Kilz, painted it in black, distressed the edges, covered the door insets with the inspiration paper, replaced the hardware; now painted shiny black, and went to work on the inside. I had to cut a few new shelf pieces to cover up the general ugliness of the inside. It was pretty dark after that so I painted the inside bottom bright white and used my staple gun to upholster the upper inside in a washable vinyl shelf liner to brighten it up. I added a stemware rack to the top for glasses.


It looks a whole lot better than it did. My original plan was to build a wine rack into the bottom, but I was trying to keep my cost down. Also, I try and keep visible a little of the original purpose. I still haven't decided the fate of the other two cabinets.....suggestions?

Linking up with these lovely ladies:

PhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridays
                             
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special             
                                                
                                    
French Country Cottagevif187                                 

14 comments:

Art From The heart said...

Absolutely Gorgeous,I love it!
We're having a blizzard,nasty. We became spoiled with our mild winter we were having.
Come sign up for my give-away.
Hugs

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Lovely redo!! It's hard to believe it was once an old TV cabinet!

STARDUST said...

So cute! Great job!
Love, Olga

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I'm so lovin' this thrifty makeover...looks outstanding. Hop over and share it with us at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY.
Blessings,
Linda

cherry said...

I love this it turned out so cute that paper is yummy... Happy Wednesday and hugs from Savannah, Cherry

Olive said...

Well done and the B&W is so pretty.

chateau chic said...

What a fantastic job! I love what you did on the cabinet to make it into a beautiful functional piece of furniture.
Mary Alice

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Super charming- well done!! THanks for linking up!

Karla Do More said...

That a very cute piece of furniture :) Love the doors

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Wow! That is a fabulous transformation, I love the Paris paper and the black is perfect! Great Job!!

Carol

Ann said...

Love it! Wonderful transformation.

Kammy's Korner said...

I always love to see your furniture makeovers - so interesting and beautiful! :) Thanks for linking up!!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Great save on this. love the transformation! thanks for joining in for the VIF party, xo

Barbe @ Beez Rental Designs said...

Ooolala . . . I love the french look, especially the paper inside. Just gives it that special touch. I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion on a tri-door cabinet I have on my bathroom wall. It's nothing special, not real wood, but I'm in an apt and need the storage. I thought of adding molding and painting it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. You can find pics of it on my blog - beezrentaldesigns.blogspot
Thanks : )