Monday, March 19, 2012

Oh Bee-have!

There has been a whole lot of creating going on here lately. Bits of this and pieces of that. Do you ever feel like you're just spinning your wheels and nothing is getting accomplished? That's how I have felt until today...finally I finished a project!


I acquired this little dresser, minus a drawer as a Craigslist freebie. I wish I could show you how she looked before but....I forgot to take a picture. In fact I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't take any pictures during the transformation either. You'll have close your eyes and use your imagination. Picture her pale yellow, wood knobs with a missing drawer...just blah.


Okay, now open your eyes... tada! Isn't she cute? I think the previous owner had used it for her TV and discarded the drawer to have a place for her DVD player. I have been wanting to paint a harlequin pattern on something and decided this would be the one. There is a great site I found http://www.silverspoonmurals.com/articles/How_to_Paint_Harlequin_Diamonds_aid27155.php  you  just put in your dimensions and it does all the math for you.


I'd be lying if I told you it was easy. It should have been, but my paint kept bubbling up and peeling off. Maybe that's why I didn't take any pictures...I didn't want you to witness my tantrums. Eventually, it worked itself out. I had decided to cover the remaining drawers with images on canvas. I found this bee image at www.thegraphicsfairy.blogspot.com and that set the color pallet for the project, yellow and black. The photos make the yellow look much brighter than it actually is. I used spray adhesive to attach the canvas to the drawer fronts and used my nail gun to apply some dainty black moulding to hide the fabric edges.


I finished her off with a couple black bins I found at Target to tie the whole thing together. My daughter says it reminds her of Harry Potter...whatever that means? It turned out just as I had envisioned. It's quirky, and that's why I like it.







Linking up with these lovely ladies:



vif187                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                                                                     
                         

27 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love the designs you used on the drawers!

Debbi said...

I think it is pretty cool too Carrie~

Kathy Owen, Petticoat Junktion said...

Oh Carrie, this is just wonderful. I don't think I'm brave enough to try the harlequin look. I could see where that would give you fits! the colors are great and such a unique piece. Kathy, Petticoat Junktion

Andrea said...

I LOVE IT!!! I too have been waiting for a project in which I can paint harlequins on. I also love the bees, how did you print them on canvas? And great idea to use baskets in place of the missing drawer!
I really love it all, great job!!
Andrea

Kammy's Korner said...

I never tire of looking at your latest redo!!! Lovely!

Unknown said...

the dresser turned out fabulous, i love the bees!

Kristens Creations said...

Wow! I love this...it's just beautiful!

Chrissie said...

Love everything about it!

Sarah said...

I love the colors and patterns on this piece. Great job!
Sarah
www.budgetfriendlydecorating.com

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

BEE-utiful! I am so very impressed! What great colors and you bureau has so many wonderful details. I'm sure it will be a treasured piece for many years!
Yvonne

Jen Lossing, Artistic Abode Designs said...

I sure love this table! I love black, white, and yellow together! I love the surprise of the wonderful diamond top as well. I recently did a graphics transfer on a table using the bee as well. I would love for you to come over and check it out! Great job!

Cyndi ✪ Blue Star said...

Nice job! Looks like all the frustration was worth it! I found you from Kim at Savvy Southern Style. Hope you'll come visit!
http://bluestarantiques.blogspot.com

the cape on the corner said...

what a great transformation! tho i hate bees, i can appreciate how cute and different this is. well done!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

You did a wonderful job on this piece...how cool that you just put in the numbers and it does all the work for you. Love the molding idea. Happy that you like my pallet shelf and will be using one in your space...love to share ideas.

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

I love it. I pinned it to Pinterest. Super Cute!!

Denise - http://deltadiscoveries.blogspot.com

Sue said...

I absolutely love this!I had a creative photo biz called Bee Girl Design, and now I paint furniture and that is called My Checkered Past! Great job!

Janette - The2Seasons said...

You did a FANTASTIC job. I love the bee graphics.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Very cute.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Hop over today and grab my starfish featured button for your blog...it's located under my header/my button page. Yes...you have been featured at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY.

Blessings,
Linda

Stacey said...

Adorable! Stop by Thursday to link up at my party - would love to have you there!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Shabby Marilyn said...

Wonderful and different, Great Job! Newest follower, hope to see you visit.

Chatty Chics said...

Love it! Looks fabulous!
Melody
One Chatty Chic
PS Come link up at my place on Wednesday and show her off if you can!?

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Carrie, this is just too adorable, love the colors and the bee motif, I'll be featuring this post on VIF tomorrow, thanks so much for linking up to the party!

Good Time Charlie said...

So cute!! I love all the detail and the Yellow and Black. Thank you so much for sharing, featuring at my party which will go up later this afternoon. -K

Meg said...

I'm featuring your Bee dresser on this week's Show Off Saturday! Thanks for linking up!

http://www.nutmegplace.com/2012/03/show-off-saturday-8.html

Liz Vickerman said...

this is super cute! love the harlequin top and the adorable bee drawers, great job!

Mandy said...

New to your blog and loving this!!!