Sunday, January 27, 2013

You bought me what?


Bedroom pieces in the waterfall style are everywhere, I come upon dressers and vanities the most often. I never really consider buying them since I tend to be drawn to the curvier styles with lots of edges to distress.

I do however own an entire waterfall style bedroom set...unpainted none the less. It belonged to my grandparents who gave it to my parents when they got married; who then gave it to my husband and I when we got married 29 years ago. It now is the resting place for my overnight guests. I remember late in my Senior year (yes, I was a mere baby when I got married) spending countless hours out in the garage giving it a new coat of varathane in anticipation of starting my new grown-up life.


Well, the moral of this story is never say never. Awhile back I had a waterfall vanity kind of just land in my lap. There was a misunderstanding at the shop and another member bought it from a customer after she told her I wanted it. She couldn't get ahold of me and didn't want me to miss out so she picked it up thinking she could just sell it to me. I was more than a little surprised when I got the call saying it was there for me. I didn't really want it, and in fact had never even seen it before. However I felt obligated to buy it under the circumstances. Thank goodness she only paid $15 for it!



It had been sitting in the garage for awhile awaiting a burst of inspiration to hit me upside the head. Finally, it spoke to me. I decided to kind of do a tone on tone chevron pattern across the top. The last chevron piece I painted was much bolder and only lasted about a week at the shop. I know the object is to sell things, but I kind of like them to stay around just long enough so I can admire them before they are scooped up.



I also had a small amount of french inspired paper in a pink butterfly print that was just enough to cover the four drawers. Now pink won't always work, but this is a vanity after all. I was able to find a dresser mirror at the Goodwill that I painted to match. I actually was pretty pleased with how it turned out all things considered. It is old fashioned feminine with just the right touch of sass in the form of chevron.




Linking up to these lovely ladies:







Furniture Feature FridaysPhotobucket



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special











giveaways











vif187






The Shabby Nest













French Country Cottage





























































































































































































6 comments:

andrea@townandprairie said...

This is gorgeous! Art Deco waterfall is one of may favorite styles...so people out there don't care fro ti at all, but I like the tailored look that can be played up or down. Your is delishiously modern yet still caught in the romance of time. Love it!!!

Cristina Garay said...

What a beautiful job you did! I love the subtle chevron pattern and that awesome butterfly print!

Debra@CommonGround said...

turned out really Pretty!! love that paper!

Donna Wilkes said...

love the tone on tone chevrons and the paper on the drawer fronts.

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

So pretty. I love the paper you used. I papered a dresser years ago and still love it. What fun.

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

I really like the paper you used on the drawers Carrie. Hope it sells quickly for you... after you have admired it for awhile. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday.