Sunday, December 4, 2011

Eye's Wide Open

Sitting here all bundled up in my sweatshirt, double socks and slippers after spending most of yesterday outside in the crisp 26-30 something degree day greeting people at our Holiday open house at "The Roost". It went really well, beautiful people, beautiful atmosphere, just good old fashioned fun. I took my camera along to capture it for you all, but alas it died. Guess I know what just rose to the tippy top of my Christmas list. I will try to see if I can borrow some photos from the other vendors that were there.



You see, I live in very small community where generations of families live and have lived. We are said to be the Christmas tree capital of the world. My neighbors grow everything from hazelnuts to holly and raise cows, alpacas and goats. Everyone knows everyone. All three of my children have graduated here and my son works for the city. Sometimes life gets in the way and we take things for granted, but yesterday made me realize how fabulous this is. Grandma's and Grandpa's came with their children and grandchildren. They weren't just shopping for gifts; they were supporting their neighbors and friends,they were creating memories.


This has been and continues to be a tough year for us. This is the first time in 23 years I haven't worked, the medical bills are daunting. It is easy to get down and feel hopeless at times. To be honest, before yesterday I kind of just wished the holidays would come and go already. By the end of the day I realized it is more about the tradition and less about the stuff.


You see I am rich, I have a family who loves me and is always there for me when I need them...and when I think I don't. They all came to support me yesterday and I felt so touched. Our little community came together to support a local business in a day and age where the little guys are dropping like flies. It was a beautiful thing to witness that I will cherish forever.

Today, I feel like the luckiest girl on the planet.








1 comment:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

How tough to have finances weigh on you, I think yesterday was all in a master plan to make you see what you have, not what you don't. My Dad always said "Moneys not everything...unless you don't have any" Your town sounds like something out of a Norman Rockwell picture, how wonderful to live in such a wonderful place. Thank you for entering my giveaway, good luck!

Carol